The Women’s Choral Society was organized in 1934, and was chartered by the University of Oregon’s Mu Phi Epsilon alumnae. It was Eugene’s first all-women’s choir.
The purpose of WCS is to make three important contributions to the musical life of the local community:
Financial aid to music students at the University of Oregon
Concert music of variety and quality
Bonds of friendship and joy from working and singing together
Early in our history the family of Maud Densmore, charter president and first accompanist, established an endowment in her memory for scholarships to UO music students. Through the generosity and support of community patrons, a second annual scholarship program has also been established. We are always proud to present our award winners at one of our concerts each year. It is our pleasure, with the assistance of those who continue to support our programs, to be a part of these students’ education and successes. Many of our scholarship recipients have gone on to achieve great success in their various music careers.
The group was established to provide an opportunity for area women to rehearse and perform some of the world’s greatest choral music, music of various types and styles. A quick look at the list of our Directors and Accompanists reveals many names of men and women well-known and highly regarded in the music scene of the area. Proceeds from WCS concerts and private donations have funded scholarships for University of Oregon music students.